For many women, the thought of leaving the house without makeup is terrifying. In fact, when some women have overnight guests they keep their makeup on at night just so they do not risk showing their natural state. This is not only unfortunate, but can lead to many problems if done for too long. Skin can break out from having clogged pores and eye makeup can settle in a person’s eye leading to pain and scratching of the cornea in severe cases. None of this is worth going through simply for vanity’s sake. Yet many women still do it.
If you are addicted to wearing too much makeup, too often, use these eight tips to help you tone down on the face paint and instead boost your image naturally.
- Smile more often – A smile is the fastest way to brighten up your face and make you look beautiful. It is hard to look at somebody smiling and think that they are ugly. That natural teeth baring grin will provide you with a look that will quickly charm anyone who glances in your direction. No makeup is needed to look beautiful as long as you have a smile on your face.
- Pinch your cheeks – If you look at yourself in the mirror and feel like you look tired or ghostly, try pinching your cheeks to quickly draw blood to the surface and create a natural blush. This will perk up the skin cells and deliver a glow that will enhance the way you look with some simple natural color.
- Get some sun – While too much sun can turn you into a lobster and put you at risk of skin cancer, not enough sun can make you look pasty and lacking Vitamin D. Spend time outdoors and allow the natural rays of the sun to brighten up your skin. Wear sunscreen to protect against the harmful ones and allow the sun to perk up your look with a small tan.
- Opt for bronzer instead of blush – If you cannot live without something to give you a boost of color in your cheeks, opt for using a light bronzer instead of blush. This will give you a sparkle without making you look like a clown. Suck in your cheeks to make a fish face look and apply the bronzer to just underneath your cheekbones. This will put a natural looking shadow in just the right place and you will not look made up, but instead it will give just the right amount of sparkle.
- Switch to natural eye makeup colors – Instead of the bright blues and greens, switch to subtle pinks, whites and browns. These colors will make it easier to lighten up on the overdose of eye makeup while still giving you the put together look you are searching for. Use a medium to light brown in the crease of your eyelid, and then cover the bottom part of the eye with a pale pink or subtle white. This will instantly make your eyes look brighter without making you look made up.
- Use moisturizer – Many women with oily skin think that moisturizer will simply make them look oilier or too shiny. However, oil usually appears in bulk when the skin is dry. Using moisturizer will allow you to keep your skin looking smooth and hydrated and fight off the pimple causing oils. Use a light oil-free moisturizer, especially during the hot summer months to keep your skin feeling fresh instead of heavy.
- Eat well – Beauty comes from the inside out, and what you put in your body will be reflected not only in your stomach, but also on your face. Eating healthy foods, such as salmon and fresh fruits will keep your skin looking clear and beautiful. Foods that are high in omega-3 fatty acids give the skin just the right amount of glow and can reduce puffiness and inflammation. Take vitamin supplements if you know your diet is lacking. Otherwise fruits provide the necessary vitamins and hydration your body needs to not only look great but also feel great.
- Use natural products – When you go to buy your makeup, look at the ingredients. Choose brands that boast the use of all-natural ingredients and go with organic makeup as often as possible. By using the most natural colors and hues, you will avoid loading your face up with chemicals and instead put on fresh and healthier beauty products.
While makeup is worn by women all around the world, and has been for centuries, wearing too much makeup can cause you to look more like a clown and show off less of your natural beauty. Do not be afraid to let yourself shine using these eight tips.
About the Author
Ferina Santos is part of the team behind Open Colleges, Australia’s provider of beauty courses. A feisty nerd at heart with an obsession for media and vanity, she captures all her random musings with daily photographs in her blog, A Pink Banana.